Tuesday, October 03, 2006


A Close brush with Yamraaj
The weekend gone by still flashes in front of my eyes intermittently.I am not sure(like always) as to what impact it has had on me. But one thing I know for sure is that I will be much more carefull next time while venturing into the deep blue sea.
Monday being a holiday(Gandhi Jayanti),ten of us decided to visit Mangalore.The thought of swimming in the virgin white sand beaches which this city boasts of was irresistable.After covering almost 375 kms and 12 hours on road we finally reached our destination.Without wasting a second we jumped into the water.The child in all of us took over and we started swimming,falling,jumping and in the process drank a lot of saline sea water too!!Everything was just so perfect.
After about a couple of hours 2 of our friends who didn't know swimming ventured into the danger zone.They didnt realize that suddenly the water was over their head and they were drowning.When realization struck it was too late.The thought of seeing my friends being drifted away by the mighty sea sent shivers down my spine.I tried holding them and pulling them back towards the shore.However both of them clung to me strongly and it was getting difficult for me to pull them both back to the shore.So,I just pushed one of them towards the shore and luckily he with the help of one of our friends managed to reach safe grounds.
While I was trying to push one of them to safety the other one had drifted farther as I had lost grip on him.For a second I felt helpless.On one hand my selfish self was telling me to go towards the shore and try and get some help as I myself had taken in a lot of water.Moreover I was also scared that in the process of saving him I too may get drowned. And on the other I knew that if I recede now he will be swept away to the point of no return.Knowing the fact that you alone are responsible for someones life or death and in the process your life too is at risk is a scary feeling.....very very dark.
In a matter of second so many thoughts flashed in front of my eyes.What will my loved ones go through if I perish???What will I tell my friends parents if something happens to him ???And what not..............Finally I gathered some courage,got hold of him and started pulling him towards the shore with whatever strength was left,at one point I felt that I could not carry on any longer.However at this very point I saw one of my friends who knew swimming coming towards us.The sight of him coming towards us and the fact that he knew how to swim pumped me up.He held to our friend tightly and I pulled both of them towards the shore,luckily for all of us he was wearing a vest which made my task of pulling simpler.By this time our friends had formed a human chain and we were very near to the shore as well and could be easily pulled out.
Finally after this 7-10 min ordeal we were all safe.However this will be one of those experiences which I am sure all of us will never forget.God has his own ways of reminding us that how precious life is.

1 comment:

KV said...

There are times when the I tries to get over logic and conscience. That's not always bad, but yeah, most of the times scary. Haven't had any near-death experiences as of yet (was too late to realise the beach commotion, or more appropriately, think over it) and don't know what actually is felt in being overwhelmed by oneself; but honestly, have many a times felt that worldly feeling called "selfishness". After this incident, it seems like there is something even bigger than the wretched feeling of being selfish, that is of witnessing death pass by - either your own or of somebody close. But that feeling might be positive as well. It is far above selfishness and can actually make you do wonders by going beyond yourself.

And, you did that! We were all overwhelmed!